Caffé-Restaurant zum Schmale Wurf
12:20 AM
After reading Balehoo's favorable review of Caffé-Restaurant zum Schmale Wurf I decided to try it myself. It certainly doesn't hurt that it is right down the street! I went for lunch, but it looks as though they have one menu for both lunch and dinner. Don't forget to ask for or read the chalkboard for the daily specials... which are pasta dishes that come with either a soup or salad.
The service staff does not speak much English..which is good and forces me to work on my terrible German. After a question about a dish's ingredient that couldn't be answered by the wait staff the chef came out to try to help. At which time we discovered that the chef is from southern Italy. (My dinning partner is fluent in Italian)The concept of the restaurant is for the chef to do dishes that best represent the various regions of Italy and additionally a few dishes that blend Italian and German style pastas.
I was quite pleased and incredibly stuffed. So far, in my Swiss experience, service particularly in bars and restaurants has been pretty poor. The service staff here was an exception. They were quick, friendly and eager to wait on us. Most dishes on the menu were in the $20CHF range with a few specialties up to $35CHF. A great deal considering the size of the portions.

I ordered a German style pasta noodle in a white wine sauce with cherry tomatoes and mushrooms. My guy ordered a spicy spagetti. Both of us also had the tomato soup... and I must say, this 'aint your grandma's tomato soup. Very nice, very rich and certainly as homemade as the pasta!





They also have a large dinning area outside along the Rhine... I can only imagine how lovely it must be in the spring. As it was a sunny Fall day, there were still plenty of locals and tourists mingling outside.

Labels: , ,


Sweet Dreams and Goodnite
12:20 AM


Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing items in a set called Locarno, Switzerland TI. Make your own badge here.
Expat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas
living in Basel


Visitor Map

Quick Links

Expat Women
Swisstory
Expatica Swiss
Tales from a small planet
One Big Yodel
Real Estate

Archives


Basler: 1. someone from Basel , 2. heavenly pastry


First three days


Quick catch up


Madeismo- Family History


News from my Basel friend


Friends and Family



limelight