Fife and Drum
7:24 AM
It just so happens that there is a music school about two blocks away from my place. Occasionally at night, between 8 and 10pm I hear this strange sound in the distance becoming louder. By the time it is outside my windows I can tell that it is a fife and drum marching band. I'm pretty sure that this is the school is the starting place of many a late night (perhaps somewhat intoxicated) march.
However, I can't be too sure, because just the other day and without any known reason I also saw an impromptu marching band walking Clara Platz...one of the major shopping streets.... busy with trams...and apparently fife and drum marching bands. In moments like these I am not sure if I will ever become "adjusted" to the Swiss way of life. Either way, I'm pretty sure that I'll enjoy my time standing on the sidelines in wonder and disbelief.
In fact, it is the wonder and disbelief that keeps me from becoming annoyed when they are marching around at night. I always think "this cannot be happening, there is just no way this is happening... it's not the 18th century or something... I must be hearing things..." Yet now I am sure when I begin to hear the distant music of exactly what is to come, though I still can't believe it is actually happening.


Here's what Drum and Fife UK has to say about it:
Fifes were adopted as a military tool by the Swiss in the 14th century. The shrill tones could cut through the noise of battle to relay messages to troops spread over a wide area. A fife is extremely portable and yet it can be heard over a distance of several miles. Use of the fife as a military instrument was probably spread by Swiss mercenaries who traveled and fought in battles throughout Europe. Dutch armies would have used fifes in the 1600s, although the British army didn’t adopt the use of military music until the beginning of the 18th century. Historians have uncovered fife and drum calls for all aspects of a soldier’s day, from reveille to lights out, and everything in between, but it was also used on long marches to relieve boredom, to motivate and to bring thoughts of home.

Labels: , ,


Sweet Dreams and Goodnite
7:24 AM


Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing items in a set called Locarno, Switzerland TI. Make your own badge here.
Expat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas
living in Basel


Visitor Map

Quick Links

Expat Women
Swisstory
Expatica Swiss
Tales from a small planet
One Big Yodel
Real Estate

Archives


A cheap find in Basel


Quick Thoughts -Shopping for wine


Basel, the city of water


This definitely isn't apple pie!


Well, hellloooo again


Quick thoughts - Shopping


City Living in Basel - catching Christmas cheer


Colmar's Marchés de Noel


Weinachts Markt Basel


Driving Europe



limelight