London Trip!
12:47 AM
It's a bit strange to be in London. I've been in Europe for only a few weeks, but was still excited to be in the "English" element. Not having to worry about being understood is freeing. However, I think I took for granted that London would be nearly the same as any large American city. It's not. It is still pretty European. Which is nice, but jarring.
There are plenty of things that are different. Obviously the whole driving thing. I thought that only mindless Americans forget that the cars drive on the opposite side of the road, and that anyone with two brain cells could easily adapt to the British way. Well, either that is not the case, or I have the said two brain cells. While I realize that the traffic is different and that I should be careful when crossing the street I still need a few moments to figure out the direction of traffic... particularly if cars are not yet visible.
Two bits that seem distinctly European to me: The restaurants close between lunch and dinner. Again, I took for granted that the attitude would be similar to Americans and that whatever I want would be available whenever I want it. Lastly, and this is the big one to me... the housekeeping staff at the hotel is a bit paternal. In the states, 98% of hotel housekeeping merely cleans the room and makes the bed. Overseas, they want to organize all of your personal effects for you. While superficially this seems nice, I would rather keep my privacy. It's weird to know that someone has been going through your things and moving them around. Particularly toothbrushes. Hey, call me obsessive compulsive, but the unknown and germs and my toothbrush freaks me out. On this visit to London, housekeeping even moved some of my computer items into my bag. weird.

Anyway, I promise the next post will be more about London and site seeing!

Labels: , ,


Sweet Dreams and Goodnite
12:47 AM


Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing items in a set called Locarno, Switzerland TI. Make your own badge here.
Expat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas
living in Basel


Visitor Map

Quick Links

Expat Women
Swisstory
Expatica Swiss
Tales from a small planet
One Big Yodel
Real Estate

Archives


Caffé-Restaurant zum Schmale Wurf


Basler: 1. someone from Basel , 2. heavenly pastry


First three days


Quick catch up


Madeismo- Family History


News from my Basel friend


Friends and Family



limelight